“Any girl can be glamorous.
All you have to do is stand still and look stupid.”
— Hedy Lamarr
The woman many critics and fans alike regard as the most beautiful ever to appear in films was born Hedwig Eva Kiesler in Vienna, Austria, and was a student of theater director Max Reinhardt in Berlin.... The studio changed her name to the more elegant "Hedy Lamarr" and put her in a series of exotic adventure epics such as Algiers (1938) and White Cargo (1942).... DeMille's spectacular Samson and Delilah (1949)
(mini bio IMDB.com)
DID YOU KNOW ???
Her profile was the most requested in the 1940s by women to their plastic surgeons.
- Hedy drugged her maid to escape her husband and homeland.
- Was co-inventor the telecommunications method known as "frequency hopping", which used a piano roll to change between 88 frequencies and was intended to make radio-guided torpedoes harder for enemies to detect or to jam under the name "Secret Communications System"
- Frequency hopping; created by Lamarr and George Antheil, is now widely used in cellular phones and other modern technology (read full story HERE)
Arrested for shoplifting in January 1966. Found not guilty.
- Arrested for shoplifting in 1991. One year probation.
- Only one acting award she had won was "Sour Apple Award" Least Cooperative Actress. (oops)